Thursday, July 26, 2012

Potatoes and Tomatoes

Ooo-wee, my quarter-share of Poplar Ridge Farm's CSA never disappoints! Elaine and I have been splitting the haul 2x a month, and exchanging recipes and ideas. I've been working Uptown, and she works from home nearer to the farm, so the job of picking up and separating the veggies has fallen on Elaine. One evening when I went to pick up my half, she'd left some nibbles on top of the freezer bag. A little sampling of roasted veggies and a cup of a healthy green drink she'd blended up. The treats were resting in an ice bath. She's so thoughtful!!


The oven has remained "off" while June and July have blistered along at 90+ degrees. Grilling has won out over roasting, and the stovetop is used sparingly. I've wanted to incorporate as many ingredients as I can at once, from my CSA box without muddying flavors.

The stars of the show this week are red, white and blue potatoes, and gorgeous tomatoes.



I barely got the basil and the first tomato out of the bag...and it became a fantastic early dinner!

Toasted Ezekiel bread, mayo, fresh basil, gorgeous tomato, my pesto, and a bit of Bosky Acres goat cheese. I ate it standing up...never made it to the table! It's not summer 'til tomato juice is running down your chin.

After dinner, I collected myself and started to clean and bag the veggies.

Right out of the ground, and into my kitchen.

Spin, baby, spin!


Soybeans ready for steaming.
Like candy.

Ready for salads, and mindless munching. No salt needed.


Scrubbing potatoes reveals the pretty colors. Once I knew what I had, I just peeled them dirty...to save time!

Good looking 'taters.


Tarragon and dill potato salad with soybeans. Matching bowl unintentional, but fabulous ;-)

Here's my recipe~~open to interpretation!

About 2 pounds of new potatoes (peeled or not--the skin is thin, so it's your choice)

For the dressing, mix together:
1 Cup Mayonnaise (I used Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil)
2 Tbs good vinegar (White wine, Tarragon, Champagne...I had Hibiscus vinegar on hand)
2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs minced shallot (or red onion or scallions, if you prefer)
2 Tbs minced tarragon leaves
2 Tbs minced fresh dill
Soybeans or some bright green English peas to garnish

Method:
Put the peeled potatoes in a large pot and cover with water, add a little kosher salt, BTB/RTS--bring to a boil and return to simmer for 20-30 mins, til fork tender. Drain off the water and immediately get the dressing on and toss, so the potatoes can drink it up. Let it sit for 20 mins for flavors develop, sprinke on some additional chopped tarragon and some salt...and serve at room temperature.

Life is good (and delicious!) Level & Plumb.









No comments:

Post a Comment