Thursday, July 19, 2012

Conde Nast-y

Aside from the news, I like to watch a little HGTV and the Cooking Channel, some Fall football for background noise, and Mad Men. I don't watch very much network TV, because frankly the envelope's been pushed too far for my taste. Despite some funny lines and good cast chemistry, for the most part subtle humor and gentle innuendo have all but disappeared. If I'm doing a "did I just hear that on TV?" double take at age 50, parents of impressionable children really have their hands full.

Anyhoo, every couple of weeks I like to relax with my stack of shelter mags. Nothing like a rainy day to settle in with a pile of Bon Appetit, Southern Living, Better Homes, Country Living, Garden & Gun....and Conde Nast Traveler. The pix and stories whisk me away from in-your-face media, the LMFAO's and WTF's.



The August issue is here! I flipped through the stories on Barcelona, Ocean and River Cruising, Thai Temples, The "Fab Four" Balearic Islands, then went back to read the article on Alaska's southeast coast. Alaska's high up on my travel list.



Gorgeous photographs accompany Alison Humes' article about her travels up the coast with her 15 year old son, Aidan. The story unfolded and I started to feel transported. Then, I did a double take when I read the caption...


Really, Mom-of-a-15 yr old? Really, Conde Nast?
Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but to me, there is a time and a place, many levels, etc...for certain words. Some responsibility ought to be attached and I think Conde Nast overlooked the audience on this one.

Don'cha think "Do Not Mess With The Bears" would have sent the same message?

Am I crazy? Is it just me?


No comments:

Post a Comment