Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Take The Guy Up On His Offer


Update on Sunday's quest for panko...

On my errands today in the Cotswold Shopping Center, I saw Charley's, where the chef mentioned he works and where there is a "ton of panko." I popped in to check out the menu, and Mark came out right away from the open kitchen. Without missing a beat, he remembered his offer, and went back to fill up a bag for me. I have nothing to trade, but I said I'd come in soon for dinner. The place looks good--"upscale casual."

I'm making the most of my little kitchen in the temp furn corp apt. I'm thinking panko-breaded pork schnitzel, panko-coated shrimp, slow roasted broccoli and cauliflower dusted with panko gremolata (panko tossed with olive oil & herbs toasted, then topped with lemon zest), and, and, and...

Charley's takeout menu has a quote from philosopher Albert Camus printed on the front. "All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door."

The day-to-day human nature exhibited so far during my first month here, are in keeping with the North Carolina state motto: "To be, rather than to seem."

I think I'm gonna like it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment