Saturday, June 19, 2010

Juneteenth


I stumbled upon a holiday celebration today, after wrapping up my errands by saying hello to Hickory at the UPS Store and collecting my mail. Across the street, I saw bouncy castles, vendors, heard music and saw people milling around Independence Park.

Today is June 19th and it's an American holiday called Juneteenth. I've never heard of it before. It commemorates the end of slavery, and is a time of remembrance, reflection, family and food. I was the minority, as all the vendors and most of the attendees were African American. A poignant moment. And it reminded me of how much I have to remember and how much I have to learn.

I enjoyed a peach lemonade, skipped the fried "fair food", wandered through, and took some snaps.

Dropped some change, don't drop your ice!


Spoon feeding the Bible. Literally.






Funnel cakes--so much fried dough and sugar. Oof!









This Yankee cannot do fried food in 93 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment