Friday, July 30, 2010

My New Home

Chapter Two of my life is underway! I closed on my sweet, new home this past Monday...52 days after selling my place in NYC.

I saw upwards of 75 properties.

After ruling out condos, apartments, and townhomes, I focused on single family homes.

Too big, too small, too much yard, no yard at all. Front-loading garages that took up half the front of the house. No garage.

After ruling out 1940's bungalows and mill houses in need of major renovation, 60's ranches, red brick, brown brick, buying an empty lot for new construction, and houses from the 70's and 80's that had 2 story foyers with juliet balconies, weirdly shaped picture windows, popcorn ceilings, small rooms, road noise, on a flood plain, etc...

Then, I saw it. And I knew it was MY house.


Cottage style, 7 years old in mint condition, rocking chair front porch, big kitchen with a gas stove, pleasantly proportioned rooms, detached 2 car garage out back, small yard w/flagstone patio, nice plantings and room for a fig tree and an herb garden. Great finishes and cool things I've never had before, like ceiling fans, Bose surround sound throughout the house/yard/porch, and lots of storage. It's spacious but compact, not ostentacious. Perfect for me!

I left my lawyer's office and headed for the house, stopping at Target first, for a case of water, a broom, garden hose and a welcome mat.  I've been driving around for weeks with two adirondack chairs that need assembly.

Let the fun begin. Turning a house into my home!

No comments:

Post a Comment