Friday, July 30, 2010

Didn't Take Long to Find a DIY Project

My new home is pretty young, having been built 7 years ago. It's in very good condition, and the the interior is getting freshened up with new paint, wallpaper and carpeting. The former owners used fairly dark colors, and I want to open up the feel of the space, and emphasize the fat crown moulding, french doors and window trim. I lived in a 14' wide rowhouse for 20 years, which had it's charms--but I'm excited to have a roomier feel and so many windows! I was so happy that the things that the seller "conveyed" were ones I'd have bought--plantation shutters in every window, some great lighting fixtures and curtain rods with interesting finials.

I know I have to figure out draperies of some sort down the line. I thought that the only DIY I'd be doing was repainting two rocking chairs I got for the porch at a second hand store, and assembling a few adirondack chairs for the yard.

Lo and behold--I found a project today and I'm happy with the results! The guest room had a brushed nickel-accented dome lighting fixture, flush to the ceiling. I asked the painters to take it down, thinking I'd buy a fixture (oil rubbed bronze) to match the forthcoming decor. I was in WalMart (for the second time in my whole life---it's huuuuge!) getting sandpaper and black satin spray paint for the rocking chair project this morning--when I saw Krylon Brushed Metallic paint. Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint in a satin finish. Can you hear the wheels turning?
Decent light. Great condition. Wrong finish.

Mask the areas you don't want to paint.

Cover the bulbs and tall center screw with plastic. Put down a dropcloth in a well ventilated area.

Forgot to take a pic, but prior to this step, I borrowed one brushload of white primer from the painter, so the paint would adhere better. Let primer dry, then spray fixture with 2 coats. Let dry 15 mins between coats. Don't forget to spray the 2-piece finial!

These fixtures are not "expensive" but why buy a new one when you can change the look for under $3? I'm on an O.R.B. (oil rubbed bronze) mission--next up, the brass house numbers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment