Sunday, September 5, 2010

Preserving Preserves

Whether you go to farmer's markets or can your own fruits and veggies, the end of the summer is a great time to stock up on homemade canned ketchup, jams 'n jellies, and pickled peppers, kimchi, etc...

Canning jars...the jars are glass, not metal cans! Canning refers to the process.

The jars are reusable, but the metal bands and lids, once sterilized and boiled, are NOT reusable.

While you're still enjoying what's in the jar, sometimes the lid gets a little sticky, it may come apart from the band, and it's tricky to pry off.

Once I've opened a jar, I throw out the lid and band and replace them with a plastic lid, which is reusable. The lids come in small or wide, 8 to a box and you can get them at a hardware store, or a big box store like Target.  I'll include a lid with the canning gifts I give, I think it will be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment