Sunday, September 5, 2010

No Tipping, Please

I put some new office furniture together, and though the floor is level, the piece is sitting on new carpeting, and I wanted to make 100% sure that the hutch won't topple off the double file cabinet.

Tools you'll need:

Mending brackets/screws
Phillips head screwdriver
Threaded screw starter
Marker to mark the hole placement


Hold a mending bracket up, and mark the top and bottom holes. Turn the screw starter clockwise about 10 turns, then carefully remove it counterclockwise. You have now prepped the holes, and the threads will "take" the screws more easily.


I spaced 4 mending brackets along the back, the top hole is in the hutch, and the bottom hole is in the file cabinet. Don't overload the hutch, or it will be top-heavy. If you have small children or pets who could climb onto or knock over furniture, then you'll want to secure the piece to the WALL as well, and you can also place "shims" under the front of the piece at the floor level, to tilt it back slightly.  It's just me here, so the brackets will do the job.

Ready for business!

1 comment:

  1. I never knew a threaded screw starter existed! (Another tool to covet.) I usually just hammer a small nail into the wood to start a hole for the screw. Once again, you've taught me something, Ms. Dale.

    ReplyDelete