Monday, December 5, 2011

Autumn Comfort Food

It's December 5th and the weather is swinging from high 20's in the morning to low 60's in the afternoon. Not quite winter, but very comfortable for late autumn. Tis the season for planned and impromptu parties and get togethers...and I like to have veggies, fruit and baking stuff on hand for making appys and desserts.

It's been a busy few days~~I hosted a party Thursday night, then went to two great parties and declined two others this weekend. I don't want to burn out in the first week of December!

I was in a soup mood this afternoon. I snipped the last of the sage from the garden, and after a quick look around I decided to make curried butternut squash and granny smith apple soup. The house smelled wonderful and I've got some yummy soup for a few meals, and some for the freezer.


Steam rising from cooking down the shallot and granny smith apples.

Add cubed butternut squash.


Add chicken broth, BTB RTS (bring to boil, return to simmer) until squash is fork tender.

Use an immersion blender (less mess than transferring to a blender.)


Blend til smooth, then if desired (and I do), add a little half & half, or heavy whipping cream.


Stir in some curry, to taste.

S&P to taste, and a little sage garnish. Ready for the fridge and the freezer.


What's this? A little detour to carb-town?! I made individual chocolate bread puddings in a mini muffin pan for a party last night and I might have put a few aside. It's a wonderful tiny bite~~warmed up in the microwave for 30 seconds and dusted with confectioner's sugar. I walked almost 10 miles this weekend, so I'm managing the pitfalls of the season...

Life is good. Level & Plumb!

No comments:

Post a Comment