Sunday, November 6, 2011

Flaneur and Finisterre

Flaneur and Finn are the two lions that guard my little house. They were a gift from my sister, and they've moved with me twice in 25 years. They're mini versions of the NY Public Library "literary lions", that were named Patience and Fortitude by former Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia.

I have a little bit of fun dressing them up for holidays or events.
They rock their 'do rags, Santa hats, leprechaun derbies, etc...with a quiet reserve.


My neighbor Nate has a 2 year old daughter, Abby. When they're on their evening stroll, they stop to say "hello" to the lions. A-dor-a-ble! The costumes have caught Abby's attention. A few weeks ago I noticed that there were little things between the lion's paws...acorns, a tiny stone, a piece of mulch. I figured that it was Abby, leaving little prezzies.

I wrote a note that said, "Thank You, Abby" and left it for her to find. A few days later, I saw this:

On Halloween Abby came by to Trick or Treat and had her little conversation with Flaneur and Finn. Nate said she has "the lion's note" on her bedroom wall. She'll never remember their names, and she'll move on to some other interest soon enough. For now, it's endearing to see her light up, smile and say hello when she walks past.

No comments:

Post a Comment