Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Angel Oak

I really like nature, and light, and weather. I appreciate shadows, textures, thunder and the shapes and colors of the clouds. I mean, I get really distracted when the sky looks dramatic like this on the golf course. I start thinking about how surreal the colors are, and I have to take a photo.



I'm a noticer...perhaps because I've been snapping photos since I was 15.
Hmmm. It's probably more accurate to say that I snap photos because I notice things.  

I visited Charleston, South Carolina over Memorial Day weekend and on the way back north, I drove 12 miles to John's Island to see a big tree, called the Angel Oak.


On approach the tree looked big alright, but it wasn't until I was under it that I felt truly enveloped.

I arrived early and was glad to have alone time, to feel the quiet, breathe the cool air in the trees' massive shadow, and to take in the sheer s-i-z-e of the limbs. The crowds arrived within 30 minutes and I didn't want them in my viewfinder.

Except this girl, in my parting shot. I liked the way she leaned toward the tree. The width of the trunk is 25 feet--WOW.

Here's a link to some history on the Angel Oak, or "The Tree" as it's called by the locals.


1 comment:

  1. I visited the Fairchild oak in Florida a few years ago. It's like 800 years old or something crazy. It was huge and growing all over the place just like this one. I only found it because I was looking for a letterbox. If you don't know what that is...you're in for another great adventure! atlasquest.com would be a great place to start.

    ReplyDelete