Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New Amsterdam Market NYC Sept 13, 2009








Do the words and ideals surrounding: sustainability, going green, artisinal, locavore, farm to table, hand crafted, unsprayed, reducing the carbon footprint, etc...seem faraway and unattainable for city dwellers? Fear not, there are greenmarkets and events year round in every borough!

My pals Sandy (Kansas native), Molly (Texan) and I ventured to the South Street Seaport this past Sunday and enjoyed perusing, tasting and buying from some of the nearly 80 vendors. Some vendors Sandy and I have met at other other green, slow food events and it's great to see their popularity and businesses growing.
I can't quite commit to a CSA produce share--it's just too much food for one--unless I could do a quarter share. I picked up a postcard (there's a Spiced Apple Cake recipe on the back---yum) at the market for a new service called Sweet Deliverance NYC that offers weekly or biweekly delivery of prepared food using Paisley Farm CSA and Greenmarket finds. For more info and pricing, visit http://www.sweetdeliverancenyc.com/
For now, I am happy to keep learning and tasting and and to support the vendors at the events around town. Cheese, bread, fruit compote, local garlic, wine, etc...it's all good!

I hope these few pix pique your interest and your appetite! There are 3 more dates for the New Amsterdam Market. Check out their site for info. http://www.newamsterdammarket.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment